RE: visual metronome

Try using an old Roland machine like an 808 or 909 (expensive)
or 707 or 727 (affordable). They have a series of 16 lights
across their front panels that "chase" from left to right
and you can program in "notes" to create quarter note references
or shorten the series of 16 for non 4/4 signatures.

Put it on a music stand so the drummer can observe it easily
or place it at an angle at centre stage for the whole group
to reference.

Cheers,
Scott M2

http://www.dreamSTATE.to