Re: That first note (or loop) . . .

Per, et al. -

I'm not sure your 100% serious with your "1st note" thesis, but if you are I disagree.

The first note is without any context, as it is the first. Without context, you are free to go anywhere. You could say the first note is a point in space, and it is without a direction.   I'd argue the second note would be more important, and the third note would be more important than the second, as it confirms a direction. But by around the fifth note you've simultaneously started to build something and had a chance to make a mess of it already.  So, I'd suggest the fifth note is where things get interesting.

As a general habit, when I do a looping show, the first piece I do is a minimal thing and without any looping.  It's my way of getting my bearings, clearing the air, and letting the audience know I won't be playing "Louie-Louie."

David Kirkdorffer