RE: here is a good Cream review:

I heard Cream live in '68 I think I was 12.I even recorded it-from the
nosebleed seats of the Baltimore Civic Arena the tape sounded like goose
farts in a tin can.  Interesting review-Despite dumb cliches like "..songs
were an unlikely blend .." I don't know why journalists think they should
make pronouncements as to what's likely.or unexpected,as if everyone has
the
same expectaions.Anyway I agree about the competitive  quality of cream
bringing the best playing out of Clapton.I liked Blind Faith alot,but have
mostly found ECs playing since then tastey but lacking fire. On Layla
Clapton and Duane Alman sound like they're both soloing at the same time
too- alot of it is really cluttered to my ear. Clapton has said  in
interveiws that the extended soloing embarrassed him and he never did it
stuff again.Notably Jeff Beck rather harshly criticzed the self indulgence
of the long jams,which the rockers seemingly got from Coltrane  and free
jazz.  I wouldn't expect Clapton to do it,though I'd like to hear them get
adventurous,and I'd like to hear Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker kick
Clapton's
ass like they did in the old days. I assume they defer to him now cause
he's
the one making this show happen.On one of those Wheels of Fire live things
always thought they'd succeeded in getting him lost-and his repsonse was
play some really interesting stuff. I saw an interview where he
acknowledged
that he'd gotten off.and that what came of it was good.What I would expect
now would be impeccable craftsmanship,which would have course include
registering true emotion,at least at certain points. Certainly  some of
Bruce's tunes tended to be quite dark-so much so that it's a wonder
they're
considered psychedelic. e Clapton's tones in the old days were really
incredible- too bad the writer doesn't cover that -like what gear did he
have?