From: SP Goodman
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2005 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: OT: ASCAP/BMI and music licensing

Doh!  Repost this time to group!

***
All of this would strongly suggest that there should be an alternative to
ASCAP and BMI, yes?

This thread is one of the great reasons for this list to exist IMNSHO.

I had thought in the past that BMI would be a better candidate for a
composer/etc whose work leaned more towards film-video-game-internet play,
as I'd noticed circa 1996 that ASCAP didn't have much of a strategy
regarding anything more modern than film-video-radio play.  While this has
most likely changed in the past nine years, the feedback from members of
both in this thread gives one pause to consider.

I too object to the idea of non-played artists I've never heard of being
able to be paid despite not being used.  As if joining ASCAP or BMI makes
one legitimately eligible for A Slice Of The Big Pie - as unreasonable a
concept as the dinosaurs at the Musician's Union would have us accept.  If
nobody listens to my work it's still my Art, and I don't feel that I deserve
to be paid just for existing; but if someone uses it in a manner involving
some mode of financial profit, I believe I have the right to compensation.
Period.

I accept of course the fact that a good number of people who work in and
around the music business consider it more of an Employment Medium than an
Entertainment or Artistic Medium, whether or not I agree with such pathetic,
bloodsucking middleman tactics - and one has to navigate those
self-appointed Necessary Transactions if you're going to ever get even
Distribution, let alone compensation for use-play for your work.  In the
past I've had membership in either ASCAP or BMI presented to me in a variety
of clothes, the most popular being "Don't you want someone to defend your
rights to compensation?" (though once I unwisely asked why that wasn't
"compensation for use of your work", as this is a different thing
altogether).  And while I'm rather solid about the rights of the creators of
work, I'm not so sure I'm interested in someone representing my work going
after something silly like in the case of the Girl Scouts incident.  On that
level, of strong defense of your IP rights, one wonders if the owners of the
works-in-question have the ability to decide whether someone like the Girl
Scouts can have free use of the works, or whether entering into an
arrangement with ASCAP or BMI means that you'll have to accept whatever
actions they perform, and keep your mouth shut.  If the latter's the case
then it's a bit of a devil's contract, isn't it?

In the midst of all this, the Hunter S. Thompson quote doesn't just make
sense.  And it begs the question, "Where else do you go for this?"

Stephen Goodman
* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
* http://www.medialinenews.com
* http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack