From: Bill Fox [mailto:billyfox@soundscapes.us]
Sent: 21 May 2005 19:52
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: surround looping

goddard.duncan@mtvne.com wrote:

> it's very depressing, all this, for it's true. despite the exciting
> prospect of multi-channel music production, both studio & stage, there
> really isn't much call for it, even with the most immersive & abstract
> instrumentation.

Hi Duncan,

If RMI want to do four channel sound at the next Gathering, I'd be happy
to bring a pair of nice JBL speakers on stands and a stereo power amp
suitable for use in St. Mary's to suppliment Chuck's system.

> Then there are the practical difficulties- multi-channel delivery
> formats have yet to settle down unless you're in the movie business, &
> even then it tends to be a bit fireworky, detracting from the main
> body of the action. directors regard it as a necessary evil.

Robin Miller, who lives near me in Bethlehem, PA, used to be a
filmmaker.  He is now somewhat of a multichannel audio expert.  He has
conducted experiments that seem to indicate that subwoofers in fact do
contain spacial information.  A church organ recording was used in the
tests and two subwoofers were better than one at creating a realistic
sense of being there.  Sure, low frequencies might be omnidirectional,
but they still take time to travel through space and the resulting phase
relationships need to be preserved in order to keep information that is
lost when using only one subwoofer... if I understand what Robin's
friend told me.

Cheers,

Bill Fox
P.S. You can hear Duncan's RMI mates in an interview the last time RMI
played in Philadelphia.
http://wdiy.org/programs/emusic/rss/podcasts.html

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe