Re: portable recorder advice...

There are two compact flash recorders in the $500 range.  They both
have built in mics as well as mic inputs (The Marantz has XLR mic
inputs), and offer wav and mp3 recording. While I haven't used them,
they would be what I would look at if I was replacing my minidisc
recorder:
Edirol R1: http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html
Marantz PMD660:
http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=3629&CatID=19&SubCatID=180

Minidisc still seems the most cost effective.

--
Art Simon
simart@null.net