Re: zen and the fluent music

From: Matthias Grob <matthias@grob.org>

8< 8< 8< 8< ...
> maybe repetition is needed to reduce fear?

Thank you for an interesting post! Here is another theory: Maybe the
public as well as many musicians hang on to A-B-A-C-A structured
music simply because our main culture is so heavily based on
GRATIFICATION? People tend to adore great achievements by others,
measurable achievements. There is a tendency to value art by "how
much work was put into it" (Oh, the Composer was working on it for
thirty  years, jeeeze.... must be brilliant then!). Just think about
how often people say "I'm so impressed..." instead of the simple "I
like your music".

As we all know musicians are very sensitive to when others do not
like or understand their work. This may trick some musicians into
creating music in the A-B-A-C-A context, only because this will make
their work measurable for more people. Formally structured music can
impress more listeners; even those not paying attention are capable
of recognizing the A-B-A-C-A patterns and gratify the musician.

But we should not forget that some people really like Repetition. But
mostly as the complement to Variation. Even though I personally love
non repeating music in a free flow, I do like good pop or extremely
minimalistic music. And when it comes to Repetition with Variation I
tend to like it better the more subtile the variations are. Listening
to, or making, such music reminds me of the joy you get from
performing the painting exercise of dotting three color spots, blue,
red and yellow, equally distributed around a circle. In step two you
try to mix new colors that match in exactly  between two neighboring
color dots. Then you keep on like that, going into more subtile color
schemes as the minutes pass by. Try it - it's fun!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)