Re: Drum-machine song construction tips?

Hey Mark, and all rhythmatists,
    I've been pretty jazzed on the Zoom RT-223. It's been out about 6
months, I got one to demo a couple weeks ago, and I haven't turned on my
Alesis HR-16 since. The long skinny:
* 3 banks of 13 sounds = 39 sounds per drum set
* great and varied sounds. Natural sets, in-yer-face sets, a bunch of
_vocal_  hip-hop sounds (y'know, spit-in-a-mic stuff), dumbeks, djembes,
tabla (sorry, no whummmp bass glissando tone but plenty of nice clicky
attacks and other drums have excellent bass resonances), gamelan, temple
bells, sound effects... and three octaves of bass/synth tones!
* assignable effects including reverbs, delays (up to 600ms), flangers,
phasers, lo-fi, compression, distortion, etc.
* pads feel G_R_E_A_T! (those friggin' Alesis pads were like hitting mah
jong tiles!)
* of particular note to Mr. Sottilaro, you can assign different patterns to
different pads and trigger up to four patterns at one time, always in sync
to whatever level of quantization you choose to define. So you can prepare
thirteen patterns in one "song," and start/stop patterns as your mood
dictates.
* tres portable. runs on batteries or wall wart. about the size of a
paperback.
*midi in. stereo out. seperate headphone out.

basically this thing is like the poor man's Boss DR-880. About $175 US.
more info:
http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1814&brandID=4#servsupport

 Yours in the rhythm of life,
Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
coyotelk@optonline.net

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where pimps and thieves run free and good men die like dogs.
There's
also a negative side."
--- Hunter S. Thompson