Re: hi, new to looping and soundscapes

> question two is..
>
> am I going to need to buy all of the vintage stuff he has to do it or
> is there new stuff out that that can do it just as good
>
> and three..
>
> what delay setting does he use? massive repeat? does he use it to
> simulate a hardcore reverb? Ah.. this is so much to learn all at one..

Here's a quick and (in my universe) successful BUDGET recipe:
* Run your guitar through a powerful and flexible multi-effects unit to add
sustain, reverb and short delay. I use a Boss GT-3, currently available for
about $200 used. RF uses a guitar synth. Nice, but several $1000s of
dollars.
* Use a volume pedal to generate swells.
* Use multiple long delays to generate a shifting soundscape. RF usually
explores the 12-to-18 second range. He's using four of those expensive
I-forget-which-brand delays, and is going for something even more high-end
soon. My budget approach is to use two Boss DD-20 digital delays (about
$175
each) in very long delay mode, with feedback set at 1/2 to 3/4, to
sometimes
full.
* Then choose your notes VERY carefully. Explore overlaying two moderately
dissimilar scales (C major and Eb harmonic minor) or uncommon/restless
scales (whole tone, Lydian dominant, or diminshed).
* Fripp keeps his textures pretty consonant throughout - stringlike pads,
the rare bell tone, quasi-choral voices.
Once (or while) you nail Fripp's soundscape riffage, please, PLEASE find
your own voice. You have one. After all you're Robert P, not F.

Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
coyotelk@optonline.net

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
hallway where pimps and thieves run free and good men die like dogs.
There's
also a negative side."
--- Hunter S. Thompson