Re: The Ultimate Sitar Guitar

Kris,

I don't use it very often but the Boss WP-20G ($189.97 @ Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WP20G/) has a fair-to-middling
faux sitar patch. The catch is that you have to have a Roland GK hex
pickup on your guitar. BTW, some of the Roland guitar synths have sitar
patches as well -- as long as were mentioning hex pickups. The best fake
sitar I've ever been able to achieve has been blending the sitar patch on
a GR-1 with a similar Indian instrument sample (maybe sarod, veena or the
drone instrument I can't remember) from an EMU Proteus III World. The
ensemble of sounds seems (correctly or incorrectly) to match much better
what folks "expect" to hear. It sounds more Beatlesque than authentically
Indian though, and a little too polished. I'm definitely NOT well-schooled on
any form of World music (Indian or any other). So I usually eschew using
sounds I don't know at least something about the way their "supposed" to
be played -- or have a really good feel for. That's also why I very seldom
play a real "blues" tune. I have no "feel" for it. It always sounds wooden
and inauthentic to me -- coming from my own fingers and instrument.

Best regards,

tEd ® kiLLiAn

"Different is not always better, but better is always different"

http://www.pfmentum.com/flux.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://www.garageband.com/artist/ArsOcarina
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=2845073
http://www.netmusic.com/web/album.aspx?a_id=CBNM_17314

and Viztas. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Blah, blah, blah. So???