Re: OT: MP3 Sites with Non-mainstream Artists

Thanks for all the replies.

I do have most of the CD's (and albums) I'd like to archive.

I started doing so in a minor way by just converting a few records into digital format files--actually wav's. 'Course can't fit that many wav files on a CD but I've been sequencing some of my old favorite songs.

So, I take it there's an encoder on the 'net somewhere that converts to a higher MP3 resolution format.

I do appreciate the comments re: fidelity. I've shied away from MP3's for the longest time. I always thought I could discern a lack of fidelity with MP3 files. It's true, though, that the fidelity doesn't always come out, for example when listening to music while driving in a car (or on an airplane for that matter).

Regards, W

Per Boysen <per@boysen.se> wrote:
On Aug 15, 2005, at 23:21, mark sottilaro wrote:

> No. I've gotten to LOVE listening to my music that
> way. Mid way through a King Crimson song I get a
> hanker'n for Talking Heads? While on a train? No.

I can definitely understand that argument. But I wouldn't trade in
fidelity for it. If you buy your music as CDs and rip them by
yourself to iPod you can use a better AAC encoding than the 128 kbps
that Apple uses.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)