The PiNG presents BLEEP and Beneath These Idle Tides

Thanks to everyone who came out for the PiNG's Sixth Anniversary show
last week. It was wonderfull! Read Luna's "IN THE LOOP" column below
for a full report. Also - Thanks *always* to everyone who comes out
throughout the year to support our unique events. You keep it happening
and create the vibe the performers always appreciate. Cheers! Scott M2

THE AMBiENT PiNG   http://www.theambientping.com
Tuesdays @ HACiENDA - 794 Bathurst Street at Bloor
(directly across from the Bathurst subway station) - Toronto
Doors open at 9pm - 1st set at 9:30 - PayWhatYouCan

This Tuesday August 23rd - BLEEP and Beneath These Idle Tides

Strangely, Bleep have never played THE AMBiENT PiNG before. If you've
been missing them it's because they haven't been performing in Toronto
at all this year and this may be your only opportunity to see them as
they'll be off to do their North American & European tour in the Fall
(and don't be late, cause Bleep will be playing the first set).

For fans of electro-organic music this performance will be a MUST.
With the recent inclusion of the renowned experimental guitarist and
performance artist, Maz Fusion (www.mazfusion.com) BLEEP are now truly
'Live Electronic' performers. Robyn Sellman continues to sing but has
taken over the keyboards & midi controllers while her fellow band-former,
Igor Olejar, is now equipped with electronic drum pads from which he
triggers percussion and other samples. This show will feature work
from both of their albums "IMM0008" & "Datenbergbau". www.bleeptunes.com

Described as everything from "mope-core" to "the music I'd use if
I was going to kill myself," the music of Beneath These Idle Tides
is not necessarily a happy affair. It sits more as an emotional tug
at the stomach, running between somber ambient sounds & amp-destroying
progressions. The project is the solo sounds of Calgary's Myke Atkinson
on record, while live Beneath These Idle Tides takes on a different
form: enlisting a full band, the sounds vary from ambient solo guitar
music to full out chaotic spasms of noise. RIYL: Stars of the Lid,
Isis, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Growing.
http://www.downrecords.com/idletides/epk.html

Between Sets CD - "Sanctuary of Dreams" by Numina  (Hypnos - 2003)
This beautiful CD from American ambient artist Numina (aka Jesse Sola
is a sanctuary filled with deep, dark dreams and expansive visions.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Coming Tues. Aug. 30th - The Riderless + Michael Keith with David Sait
http://www.theriderless.com  http://www.davidsait.com

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

||: IN THE LOOP :||  by Luna Tek

On Tuesday August 16th, 2005, THE AMBiENT PiNG celebrated its Sixth
Anniversary with two beautiful sets mixing music and visuals into a
delicious multimedia banquet. A full house of PiNGers came together
to enjoy the presentations, many passing on congratulations to the
happy PiNG organizers for another year of sonic adventures.

mara's torment, the intrepid and introspective duo of rik maclean
and sovaak the sock monkey, opened the night with a set of delicate,
dark chocolate moods. Their electronic textures were complemented by
visuals from their mysterious colaborator Sara, which evolved from
geometric abstractions into a panoramic nocturnal cityscape.

After a short break, featuring music from last year's "PiNG AMBiENCE 2"
CD release, cellist Zoë Keating took the stage. Zoë performed a series
of entrancing compositions from her "One Cello x 16" series, including
many sections of her soon to be released "Natoma" album. Each piece
was built on "unprocessed" acoustic cello parts deftly looped by Zoë
on her Electrix Repeater looper. Deepening the trance were haunting
black and white visuals by animator/projectionist Jeffrey Rusch
beamed onto three terraced white scrims, surrounding the cellist.

The PiNG is looking forward to a new year of ambient and experimental
artistry and some new twists. In September there'll be the release
of "PiNG AMBiENCE 3 - STRiNG THiNGS" featuring guitar-based ambience
and the launch of our new arts magazine "I POP PiNG" featuring poetry,
art, musings, listings and reviews. Come along again for the trip!

More info: http://www.marastorment.com  http://www.zoekeating.com

Luna Tek - luna@theambientping.com

rik maclean's *ping things* CD Reviews

"A Million Stories" is Sara Ayers' latest release, a moving study of
environment and atmosphere, a tale spun through voice and sound and
music, a true work of art by one of the most talented people I have
had the joy of knowing.

It begins simply enough, a tone and a voice, the idea that there
are more stories than just one. And then it goes from there...

Sara's voice is in fine form, wrapping around your ears, caressing
your soul, enveloping your heart. Multitracked vocals play and
intertwine with each other, dancing overtop drones and waves and
echoes and slight melodies. Movement comes & goes in waves, both
literally & figuratively. I feel a sense of calm before the storm,
a feeling of climatic location that both calms and excites.
And it comes and it goes...

And it comes and it goes...

And it comes again. I feel like I'm racing through a thousand
different lives, a thousand different times, each with something
to say, something new, something unique, something distinct.
She says "I feel like someone is watching me" and they are

watching,

intently.

It's beautiful, all of it, and as it washes over me,
I feel part of something.

Something wonderful...

rik maclean - rik@pingthings.com

http://www.pingthings.com = ambient + electronic + chill things
Send an e-mail to pingthings-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
for updates on *all* the latest releases on sale at ping things

THE AMBiENT PiNG is a social sound/art event presenting
live performances by Toronto's finest ambient, chillout, improv
and experimental music artists plus performers from across
the continent, every Tuesday evening at HACiENDA -
794 Bathurst Street at Bloor. http://www.theambientping.com

Please forward this e-mail to any friends who may be interested
in live ambient, chillout and experimental music performances
or to any of your appropriate newsgroups. Thanks.