Re: Looping in Stereo ("Pitch Transposing Live Looping") ("Karmic Looping", "N:o 2")

On Oct 5, 2005, at 16:36, Kris Hartung wrote:

> You got it, Per! A beautiful scenario:
>
> 1. Lay down a 30 second, lush ambient soundscape loop with effects
> A, B,
> and C
> 2. Lay down another layer of melodic work with effects B, C, and F
> 3. Lay down a solo loop with effects A and H.
>
> ...and so on. It provides a lot of freedom and power to compose
> what you
> want and keep it in the loop cycles.
>
> Kris

Yes, nice! I guess you also use the tables on some occasions? I like
your scenario, in fact that's a way I usually do stereo looping in
Augustus Loop. But I prefer to start with a melody on the first
really long loop. Then, on the second round I layer chords and
lushworks to back it up. Then I like to freeze that loop and work on
a second, shorter loop, that is being mangled by sequencer pitch
transposing while I'm overdubbing into it.  So what comes out of that
little loop is a little different from what I play into it on the
first round. And as long as this shorter loop stays in overdub mode
it will build up cascading pitch intervals of the moving audio (to
prevent too much "pitch interval stacking" I like to use odd length
of the midi sequencing providing the pitch transposing triggers).
Usually that shorter loop makes for a bass line or something funky.
Then I may freeze that short loop and turn to the long one to kick it
into a shorter length, maybe two, four or five bars. Length doesn't
matter much here because this loop is going through a lot of pitch
changes that each one will change the length and timing of the
looping audio. So I now replace the first "melody and lushworks" with
a new pad-like sound in stereo (non rhythmic pad that can take some
harsh pitch changes without getting that dreadful out-of-sync feel).
When the loop is "paddish" enough I turn off "follow chord changes"
for the bass line loop and play a melody while using feet to
transpose the paddish loop into the same chord changes that my
melodies imply. And on it goes... the basic work-bench for "Pitch
Transposing Live Looping".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)