Live looping: Adrian Belew

Saw Adrian Belew Friday night at Slim's in SF.  Other
than the too loud and crowded aspects of the show (as
noted in the last email), Adrian was great... mostly.
His playing always seems a little more sloppy live,
but that can be expected as he's got such a magnetic
stage presence it's just fun to watch him.  He always
seems like he's having a great time on stage and
enjoying his guitar antics as much as the audience is,
but not in a full of himself way.

He was part of a 3 piece band that included a bass
player and drummer.  For several parts of the show he
looped a phrase and soloed over it.  As an audience
member I thought those moments were by far the weakest
of the show.  The non evolving looping riff (Elephant
Talk and Frame By Frame come to mind) with the band
backing his solos... just seemed kind of canned.
Franky I'd rather he just left it out and let the
highly capable bass player and drummer keep it going
while he went off.

So that's my take on things, your milage may vary.
I'd just rather see looping as a feature, not a patch
for lack of band members.

Mark

Yahoo! Music Unlimited
http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/