Re: Defining "pro"

On Oct 16, 2005, at 21:15, David Trenkel wrote:

> And, the funny thing about being "pro" is, I can't afford any "pro"
> gear. 8< 8< 8< 8<....

Interesting post. I too have been pro for periods, but I have always
struggled to get back into the amateur zone; mostly because I love
the music and to play as a life experiment compared to playing as
part of someone's marketing plan. I've been hired for studio sessions
and once happened to play on hit record, which led to getting hired
for the touring band backing up that artist etc etc. Another time me
and companion signed up with a major label, made an album and lots of
singles as well as a couple of months' global touring. Clever
marketing hype resulted in foreign licensing deals and it al spun off
business-wise even with no record sales yet (I still wonder who the
hell lost all the money that others gained by document ;-). It never
got as bad as Albini's essay (a MUST-READ!) but what I missed most in
the Corporate Rock Thing Sphere was actually - getting my kicks out
of music. I think this whole debate about pro or not pro is a bit too
biased for having any fair chance getting to some sort of clue.
People are different in music as everywhere; some just enjoy doing
the thing their own way while others might think that the option of
receiving positive attention justifies doing... well, whatever it
takes ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)