Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as an alternative to the Receptor for Mobius

> Sorry, that is not correct. A motherboard designed today is not designed
> last 10 years. The probability is very low that it would last that long.
On
> the other hand, a motherboard from 10 years ago will quite likely still
> work fine today.
[snip]

Ain't planned obsescelence great? The same goes for printers. Everyone once
in a while, I find someone who is still using an HP LaserJet printer that
was made in 1990, built like a rock with 100's of thousands of pages on
them.

> And if you think spending $4000 on a laptop changes this equation, all I
> have to say to you is, "Thanks!"
>
> kim

I admit $4000 is not practical nor something we can expect the average
consumer, or even  musician
to drop on a laptop. Heck, with all my talk, I didnt! I had to buy a
consumer model
compaq/hp for $1700 three years ago, but I didn't cut corners on features.
My commercial
laptop was bought by my employer....but I still stand to my own personal
point earlier, that
from now on I will buy only commerical boxes, even if I have to save my
money for an
extra year to get one. I has having this similar converations at Y2K5 with
Andy and Doug Wright
who was using an IBM box.

Kim, we misseed you at Y2K4 this year! :)

K-