Re: Defining "pro"

I'll go with that definition... but why do we care?

For a while I attempted doing the professional
original pop/rock band.  It was finally starting to
pay off... and then our drummer got wooed away from us
by a very popular country band.  Even though we were
booking a decent number of paying gigs a month there
was no way we could match the country band.  They paid
him to rehearse!

For a short while, as we looked for a replacement, our
lead guitarest sat in on drums.  That wasn't really
working as I was having trouble doing vocals and
playing the lead parts I wanted to hear.  Then our
bass player quit due to marital problems... and I went
out and bought an Ensoniq TS-10 workstation
keyboard... a JamMan was soon to follow.

The band disolved... and I was never happier!  It was
so liberating!  I was so focused on attaining my
"dream" that it hadn't occured to me that I wasn't
even enjoying it.  Keeping the band together, making
our set list accessable to enough people to gather the
cash to pay the manditory PA/Engineer fee clubs in
Ithaca NY had adopted (who generally sucked so hard
it's amazing!  Look at me!  I'm a trust fund baby who
got some cash and bought some PA gear!  I'm now your
engineer!)

So anyway, I quickly realized that even if I'd
continued, I didn't like it much.  Not my style.  I
hate traveling and honestly don't enjoy playing live
much.  Mostly it's due to the fact that I really love
the improv thing and find that 90% of the time I can't
hear well due to bad stage mixes/conditions.  So
that's me.  Your milage may vary.

I totally admire people like Rick who love this life
and stick it out to attain a level of financial
reward, that's not me.  I lack the steel.  However, I
can make 4 times as much as my Berklee school of Music
grad brother in a year doing Media design to his pro
music life and I never ever ever have to play Mustang
Sally.  I do however have to sell out in my own
way...(oh believe me I do!)  but for some reason I can
handle that.  I do not take requests well in the music
world but I'm willing to to do anything some idiot CEO
wants to his logo animation as long as there's a check
at the end.  I'm not judging at all... it's just the
way things work in my world.  Perhaps is I was more
focused and skilled I could have made it... but I'm
not.  All I know is the fun and fulfillment I get from
sitting in my studio coming up with some beats and
looping over them is enough for me.

Why is anyone here conserned with how we get our
money?  If you loop and you love it, that's all that
matters.

Mark

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs