Re: ethics (was Re: Building a rackmount looping computer as analternative to the Receptor for Mobius)

Sean Echevarria wrote:
 > Are you saying that because you don't think Mobius negatively affects
 > EDP sales, then there is no ethical dilemma?  That would mean there is a
 > question (which I'm not sure you agree there is) and the answer is
 > measured in dollars?

I don't believe there would be an ethical dilemma even if Mobius were
affecting EDP sales.  The last time I checked that was called free
market capitalism :-) Personally I might feel some guilt if that were
the case, but I don't think it is unethical.

I can understand why this might ruffle a few feathers, but once you've
published an idea you no longer own it.  You can own physical
manifestations of that idea (code, copyrighted text) or the process
by which an idea is manifested (patents) but not the idea itself.
I'm sure someone will want to bring up software patents.  I don't
believe in them, they are vile and unethical.

If I misrepresented the origin of those ideas, I might consider that
unethical.  Again not illegal, competing technology companies
implement each others ideas all the time and they never bother to give
each other credit.  But I would have a problem with that.  I think I'm
fairly careful to point out which ideas are mine, and which aren't.
If anyone thinks otherwise, please let me know what sort of pronouncements
or disclaimers you think would be appropriate.

Jeff