Re: Pro tools [not protools] (was Re: Defining "pro")

----- Original Message -----
From: "mark sottilaro" <zerocrossing2001@yahoo.com>
To: <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 19 October, 2005 22:11 PM
Subject: Pro tools [not protools] (was Re: Defining "pro")

> Ah, I don't get all the emails for some reason and I
> missed this.  Good subject though.
>
> One thing that amazes me is the quality of tools
> available to musicians as opposed to what we had 20
> years ago.  Looper or otherwise.  As a non pro, I
> pretty much by as close to "pro" as I can afford...
> weirdly I can afford pro gear now and couldn't when I
> was a "pro."  Funny how that works.
>
> I still often think to my days back when I was an
> intern for Laurie Anderson during the making of "Home
> of the Brave."  Digital Audio workstations (The
> Syncavier) set you back about $150K.  You could
> probably put together a similar device from off the
> shelf software and computer hardware for about... well
> let's see!
>
> Macintosh G5: $2,000
> MOTU 828mk2: $749
> MOTU DP4: $349
> Absynth $289
> Kontakt $480
> Novation Remote61 $499
>
> Total: $4366

Since I haven't been shopping for Mark of the Unicorn's equivalent on the
PC
and don't recognize the rest of the devices, I'd have to rely upon others'
assessments technically but I'd wager that if you exchange the word
"Macintosh" for "PC" you could cut the cost in half, at least.

Stephen Goodman
* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
* http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack
* http://www.medialinenews.com