Re: quest for an audio interface for laptop music applications

On 10/22/05, Rainer Thelonius Balthasar Straschill <rs@moinlabs.de> wrote:
> I've decided to go laptop. At least to compile one setup that is
> entirely laptop. Now I need an USB audio interface - my Phase26 wouldn't
> do here. I'm looking for a laptop-based system with maximum portability.
>
> My requriements:
>
> Hard requirements:
> (1) at least one phantom-powered mic in and one Hi-Z in or two
> phantom-powered mic ins
> (2) two analogue 1/4 or XLR outs
> (3) headphone out
> (4) USB
>
> Would-be-nice:
> (5) a pair of SPDI/F connectors
> (6) a MIDI pair
> (7) possibility to create an effect send/return
> (8) no wallwart necessary
> (9) bus-powered
> (A) symmetrical outs
> (B) USB2
> (C) ADAT connectors
> (D) 24/96
[snip]

I'd add one "Hard Requirement" right at the top, before all the others.

I'd put "Rock Solid Drivers" as number 1 on the list (or number 0 if
you've ever been a student of thermodynamics).

You don't mention what OS your laptop runs, but IIRC at least one of
the devices on your short list has a reputation for Windows XP drivers
that are wobblier than Mr Wobbly on National Wobble Day.