Re: Looping back to Krispen's old critics thread (was sorta: usinglaptops formusic"

Mark-

I don't think that learning "music" (in the way I think you are using the
term) is a necessary component to making music.  What constitutes music
is often a preconceived notion on the part of the listener/reviewer.  I've
heard some great music made by people just "fucking around" who could
not play formalized musical ideas if their life depended upon it.  I think
in today's musical climate there can exist sound artists who can do what
they do without formal music "book learnin'".

Many of my favorite musical moments come when I am able to *unlearn* music
and just experience sound.  I know that is not for everyone.

Also, I think this leads to a related topic that I have witnessed in
myself and others, and that is of giving performers more slack for noise
once you
know they can play, for example, a Bach Fugue.  Granted, someone who can
play a Bach Fugue is probably more likely to to structure his/her noise
in such way that it makes more sense to a listener embedded in the western
musical construct.  However, the constraints of being embedded in
any specific musical tradition can often shackle the ears and keep one
from an otherwise enjoyable experience (of noise).

That being said, I've walked out of my fair share of shows because I
wasn't connecting to the noise being played that night.  I've also
marveled at
some complete novices simply going nuts with noise and been sucked in by
their energy and delight at the ruckus they were making.

Blah blah..how I ramble...just some thoughts

Joe