Re: Real-time category

I think I understand and agree with Kim's distinction between an RTOS
hardware looper and looping software run
on a Mac or a PC and I take his point.

What I'm interested more in, quite frankly, is what are the practical
distinctions from a musical standpoint between the
two paradigms?

If you use either one of these in front of an audience,  making your loops
in real time, the only important factor from a musical
standpoint is how they differ in rhythmic feel while using them.

I've been a hardware person so far in my looping but have to confess that
laptop driven software looping programs
have their decided appeal and I'm considering trying out a system that
uses
both.

I wonder if we could hear, in particular, from people like Per Boysen and
Matthias Grob.................people who have extensive,
real time performing experience with RTOS hardware and nonRTOS software
run
on computers.

What are the practical and musical applications of these two paradigms,
you
guys (and anyone else with this experience).

Also,  how reliable do you find connecting the two kinds of systems via
MIDI
in a real time musical performance?