Re: Real-time category

On Dec 7, 2005, at 9:32, loop.pool wrote:

> Also,  how reliable do you find connecting the two kinds of systems
> via MIDI in a real time musical performance?

Speaking about synchronization I have found everything except Ableton
Live reliable in the slaving-ti-MIDI-clock sync position (i.e. Möbius
in Windows XP, Augustus Loop in OS X and the two hardware units
Repeater looper and AKAI MFC42 analog filterbank). Therefore I have
often used Live as the sync master. Good thing with that is that
using the EDP's speed function won't kick a bunch of slaved gear into
bizarre tempo changes. Bad thing is I miss out on the wonderful First
Loop Tempo Definition option that comes with running the EDP as the
master.

Maybe the bad sync slaving in Live is related to OS X or the Mac
version of Live, but I can't tell for sure with my limited
experience. When running Möbius in XP as the MIDI clock master I have
not experienced any sync drop-outs with Live as I have had on the Mac
when using Augustus Loop or my EDP as the sync master for MIDI clock.

Since I found a machine that can run Möbius I tend to leave out the
EDP and run four tracks of stereo loops in Möbius instead (kind of
equal to eight EDPs set up for four stereo loopers). Möbius internal
sync, between its tracks, feels rock solid to me, but I won't go into
repeating what have already been posted on this. All this software
fiddling has had an interesting, psychologically subjective, effect
on my attitude towards my EDP. I really enjoy it more as an
instrument compared to looking at it as "a device" and I tend to use
it on it's own without syncing at with other gear. I feel more like
I'm playing the EDP than that I'm "using it to loop what I play" and
I prefer to play the EDP without syncing up to other gear (eventually
just the combo EDP + beat synced filterbank with an expression pedal
mapped to LFO tempo division).

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)