Ableton Live

Hello all,

New to this list. Anyway, I'm trying to start using Ableton for live
looping. I've been using the program for a couple years with loops I've
pre-made, so I know my way around it pretty well, but now want to try
using
it for live playing. I'm able to record an initial loop fine, but I'm
having
problems with then recording a second one on another track and getting it
sync right. Are there ideal quantization settings I should use? I'm
guessing
the problem is that it's nearly impossible to record 2 loops exactly the
same length live, so eventually they're getting out of sync. Is there a
setting that will make them start the same time each time? And if so, what
about loops of different lengths, say a 4 beat loop and an 8 beat? Or an
uneven measure length like a 4 beat and 6 beat? I've been messing with
different quantizing settings, but haven't been able to get things to do
what I want yet. Is it a problem that I'm not using a master clock source?
Ableton has a tempo setting, but since I'm not using any other loops other
than what I record on the spot, I may not be synced with it. Or should I
be?
Should I tap in a tempo first to get things going?

All I'm trying to do is be able to play something live, have it record and
begin looping immediately (which I have already accomplished), and then
repeat the process on different tracks with different parts (which is
where
things start getting ugly). I know of someone doing this same sort of
thing
(successfully) with Max/MSP, which I'm going to experiment with, but since
already have some familiarity with Ableton, I'd like to try it with that,
first.

Thanks,
Jason

Jazz.Funk.Soul.Detroit.