Re: OT: Indian rhythm box recommendations?

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005, Travis Hartnett wrote:

> A few years ago I remember seeing some non-MIDI rhythm boxes that
> would generate Indian rhythms and drones, but now I'm having no luck
> finding them.  Anyone have any suggestions for hardware or Mac OS
> solutions?

Travis:

hardware:

I have a Raagini electronic sampled tanpura box that I love. Advantages:
output jack so I can plug it into the mixer and blend it
nicely flexible on the drone chords
optional & included battery pack
built-in speaker

with the battery and speaker, I can busk with it if I like.

Here's where to find one:
http://www.buckinghammusic.com/elect/elect.html

I participated in a six-person improvisational live looping performance
back in June under the name Audio Arcade. The recording of our set is
here:

http://www.subscapeannex.com/arcade/sounds.html

I used my Raagini electronic tanpura, which you should be able to hear in
spots, throughout, althought faded in and out.

A local sitar player has the Raagini electronic tabla box that he uses for
accompaniment, and it sounded perfectly acceptable for live performance.

Mac OS X software:
As I mentioned the last time this topic came up, I was happy to note
recently that Swarshala has recently been released for OS X.

http://www.swarsystems.com/SwarShala/

best,
Steve B
http://www.subscapeannex.com/about_steve.html