Re: Looperlative LP1 - sample rate

S V G wrote:
> Even though higher frequencies are indeed possible with a 192K sampling
>rate, it also means
> that each waveform has more samples representing it, thus higher
>fidelity.  I never did understand
> how the Nyquist theorum could claim fidelity in the upper end by only
>having two samples per
> waveform.  Seems to me like you wouldn't be able to distinguish a
>sawtooth from a sine from a
> square wave if you only sampled at twice the highest frequency.

Thats exactly the case, your ear is not able to distinguish between a
sine an a square wave at 20 kHz. Unless you feed it into a row of bad
AD/DA converters, but then the square isn't a square anymore, thats the
difference you hear in the end.
The problem with converters is the analog filters necessary to filter
higher frequencies than half the sample rate. They are either very, very
expensive or they don't filter enough. The latter is usually the case.
If you feed that filtered signal into a 96 kHz converter you would not
get the annoying folded inharmonic distortion you get at lower sample
rates. No issue for rock'n roll I guess.

A pair of converters which sound good at low sampling rates you could
find withh Apogee for example. It would determine the price range.
But there is a more economic way to achieve that quality, and thats
simply a higher sample rate.

Stefan

--

  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]  [][]  [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

         Stefan Tiedje
         Klanggestalter
     Electronic Composition
               &
         Improvisation

            /~~~~~\
     \\\   /|() ()|\

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt, 94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX   +33-1-49 77 51 72