Von: Bob Amstadt [mailto:bob@amstadt.com]
Gesendet: Samstag, 17. Dezember 2005 19:50
An: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Betreff: Analog to digital conversion - sample rate

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to stay out of the conversation, but I do want to clear
up
a few things.  I would like to point out that this topic is the subject
of
an entire college.  So, it is very difficult to simplify it down to just
couple of paragraphs.  Let me hit the highlights.

A/D converters don't see the signal as a set of sine waves.
Mathematically
we look at signals as a set of sine waves because it allows us create a
system of mathematics that does a very good job of describing filters
both
analog and digital.  You could create a system of mathematics based of
different frequency square waves, but sine waves result in much simpler
equations.

The Nyquist rate is a theoretical concept that results from the
theoretical
mathematics and it indicates to us the maximum frequency that can be
represented after sampling a signal.  As has been stated, it is
necessary
to filter a signal before sampling to avoid significant frequency
content
about the Nyquist rate.  The topic of filters is a huge one.

Higher sampling rates are better, but twice the sampling rate doesn't
mean
that your sound will be twice as good.  It is a very interesting topic
and
for those of your interested in it, I highly recommend that you take
courses or do some experimentation.  It is a fun topic to explore.