Re: Ableton/Reaktor

On 29 dec 2005, at 01.57, Mark Smart wrote:

> Well, after much futzing and frustration, I finally got this setup
> working the
> way I want. I like Ableton a lot, but I wanted a way to automate
> the steps with
> a sequencer that could be advanced to the next step with just one
> pedal, like
> what I did purely inside standalone Reaktor before.
>
> So today I figured out how to make a Reaktor sequencer inside
> Ableton drive
> Ableton's remote control using the MIDI loopback trick from this
> article:
>
> http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=32&storycode=12143

Yeah, I agree to this being one of the most exciting live looping
techniques so far! I've been doing that for some years now but
instead of the Reaktor Seqencer I'm setting up MIDI clips in Live
that I send back into Live as "Remote Cotrol Data". I started doing
it on a Mac with OS X, that has such a MIDI loop-back streaming
option built into the operating system, but now I have also expanded
it to Windows XP by using MIDI Yoke (thank you Jeff Larson for the
heads up on M Yoke!).

Originally I got the idea of sequencing control data for loops - in
overdubbing mode or not - from David Torn on this list. Back then we
were discussing the hardware looper Electrixpro Repeater. I was using
an Alesis MMT-8 hardware MIDI sequencer to control the Repeater and
Bill Walker also gave me some valuable help (thanks Bill!). Until
this day there isn't really any software available that can pitch
transpose overdubbing loops as the Repeater did. When this will be
possible in software I'm sure it will explode as a new paradigm for
live looping that everyone wants to explore :-)

Speaking about sequencing controller data for a looper, didn't Claude
Voit do that with EDP quite early? I'm now working on a laptop based
system of "chained actions" that I will trigger with just one button.
Then I play acoustic instruments to fill the loops with audio. I have
noticed that I tend to tap dance certain chains of commands on my
floor controller, when looping, and since I usually pull off the same
sequences of commands I can as well automate them and focus on what
REALLLy matters: the audio you play on instruments. Pushing buttons
is just stupid. I must have collected enough push-button karma for
twenty lifetimes ;-) I want to PLAY live looping music!

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)
www.boysen.se (Swedish)