Re: Line6 Echo Pro

At 5:13 PM +0100 12/29/05, RPGfreak@web.de wrote:
>Does anyone know or use that thing? How suitable
>is it for looping? Can feedback be controlled?
>How is MIDI control or control on the device itself?
>I was thnínking about getting one since it's
>rackformat is handy. SInce I play ambient music
>with lots of evolving textures, a long loop time
>would be nice.

If it's a decent price, grab it.

Go through the list archives, you'll see lots of
posts regarding the Line 6 Echo Pro and DL-4
(they're pretty much 90% the same machine, only
in different form factors).  Also, I think there
are some write-ups on the main LD site.

I've got two of the Echo Pro's, as well as a DL-4
I use in a busking rig.  In short, I think think
they're wonderful (I love the Line 6 stuff; it's
dead simple and sounds great).  Essentially, the
Echo Pro is the same engine as the DL-4 stompbox.
The main differences are that with the Echo Pro
you've got an expanded 60 seconds of loop time or
120 seconds if you begin recording in half-speed
mode, better audio quality (IMNSHO) with an
improved S/N Ratio due to the balanced I/O, and
full MIDI control of the front panel parameters.
Also, I'm another person who prefers the
convenience of having everything in a rack,
rather than dealing with a mess of spaghetti on
the floor, but obviously YMMV on that last point.

Downsides are that, just as on the DL-4, the loop
algorithm squashes everything down into mono
(why, Why, WHY did they do that <*grumble*>). I
deal with that little design flaw by having two
Echo Pro's running together as a "pseudo stereo"
pair.  And while you can control all the
parameters via MIDI you still can't sync the loop
itself to MIDI clock.  As for Feedback, you don't
have a Feedback control on the looping presets
per se, but you can get the same effect (each new
overdub squashes the older layers a little
further down into the murk, er... mix) by playing
with the Mix control as you record into the loop.

You say you play ambient music with a lot of
evolving textures, so here's an example to which
you might relate: I have mine dedicated solely to
my E-mu Morpheus (controlled by a Yamaha G-10).
Using just the distortion guitar patches on the
Morpheus into the Echo Pro's, I can pretty much
replicate the classic Frippertronics sounds from
Fripp & Eno's "No Pussyfooting" or "Evening
Star".  So, that should give you a (very) raw
baseline.  Now start updating the sounds you're
feeding into the Echo Pro and you can take it
into some really cool directions.

Just do it!  ;)

        --m.

--
_______
"Take a packet of seeds.  Take yourself out to play