new gadget

Title: new gadget

all- apologies if this thing has been mentioned here before & escaped my notice..... from time to time in the past, we have discussed & debated the most cost-effective &/or reliable way of preserving performances for later re-appreciation. minidiscs, dats, laptops, cassette recorders, mini hard disc recorders & even things that use flash memory.

I saw this effort:

http://www.ikey-audio.com/

in the UK sound-on-sound rag just before the christmas winterval. seems to fit the bill- no mic pre's, but then I don't think I'd use them if they were there. much better to invest in a dedicated portable mic pre-amp, as those of us using minidisc walkthings will know.

$230 I think.... mine is costing £130.

but this thing can record from it's rca jacks (we call 'em phonos over here) straight onto pretty much any usb storage device, as uncompressed wav or a variety of mp3 templates, & it only has two buttons. you can even connect it straight onto one of those ipod things.

what could possibly go wrong? I wish they'd left off the level control, as it looks suspiciously like one of those walkman volume controls that go crackly after six weeks, but maybe I'll pry the lid off & remove that from the equation.

I've got one on the way- I'll let you all know how rubbish it is in a few days!

but if it's any good, I might buy a few of them & see how well they stay synced in a multitrack scenario.......

d.