Re: Using a laptop onstage: Dominic Frasca's take is misguided

Comparing cars to computers is often problematic.  I'd compare the
computer in this case to a tape deck, or some rack gear, or an
instrument.  For a long time, these were tools that with simple
periodic maintenance would continue to do what they were designed to
for literally decades.  Of course, cars were more like that when they
were largely non-digital.

It depends on what you mean by "the" software.  I've been using
computers for hard disk recording for seven or eight years, and the
first three programs I used won't run on my current system due to the
OS9/X switchover.  Since I started using OS X, I've had to give
Digidesign several infusions of cash to keep my ProTools setup
working.  I could have stopped updating the operating system and
ProTools, but most people don't get into computer solutions to
eliminate options.

None of the plugins that I was using on my OS 9 PCI system work on my
OS X setup.  Some of them have updated versions, which I could
purchase, but the line between "using the same software and paying for
updates" and "buying a new piece of software" starts to become sort of
academic.

I'm skeptical of the idea that we're in a new age of computing where
software doesn't suffer obsolesence.  Regardless of how clever the OS
designers may be in providing a platform that favors long-term
compatibility, the application folks aren't thinking "Gosh, I must
make sure I follow all OS programming guidelines to insure that my
software doesn't break with the next update", but more "Hey--this
clever hack will give me performance that I need, I'll worry about the
ramifications when the next OS update arrives..."

TravisH