Re: Using a laptop onstage: Dominic Frasca's take is misguided

Oh, I've been on the downside of a number of platforms.  Ask me about
the Tascam multi-track minidisk recorder.  Or, don't.  My rule of
thumb was if I got one album out of a system, it paid for itself, so I
wasn't hit that bad, but music can be an expensive day at the races.
I don't really mind paying for software/hardware upgrades, but I don't
want to pretend that computers are cost-free tools, or even
necessarily cheaper if it isn't so.

What's funny is how we perceive various "ownership" costs.  If you're
an active guitarist, you may got through a hundred dollars of strings,
picks, etc. over the course of a year.  Every few years you may need
some fretwork for another couple hundred dollars.  Tubes, caps and
speakers need replacement in amps and so on, but these are viewed as
"consumables", even though the amount of money laid out is about the
same as keeping your DAW software up to date.

With computer-based tools, you've got the problems of depreciation and
obsolesence of both hardware and software.  I think Mr. Frasca is
correct in that if you buy a $3K PowerBook today, it's worth only a
fraction after a few years.  I wasn't able to include the entire
article detailing his PowerBook based setup, but it's basically a 17"
Powerbook with a custom breakout box (he's individual output channels
from his guitar for each of ten strings, plus a mic feed) going into a
MOTU interface, into the PowerBook running Logic.  He's then got a
bunch of plug-ins for the usual EQ, compression, reverb, chorus and
pitchshifting, all of which can and frequently are reconfigured for
each piece, and then everything goes out to the PA in stereo.  At home
he does some 5.1.

Logic is probably going to be around for at least the next three
years, probably longer, and none of the plugins he's using sound
terribly idiosyncratic, so I would guess he'll be able to duplicate
his current functionality for quite some time.  Of course, in a year
or so he'll hear about about some amazing new reverb that requires a
newer version of Logic, which will require a paid update of the OS,
and then the PowerBook will start to feel a litle pokey, and someone
will have a vastly improved firewire audio interface, and the new
setup sounds really great in 128-bit sampling, and so keeping his
system up-to-date will cost another $5K.  He'll be able to get some
money back on the old hardware, but old software isn't worth beans.
On the other hand, he'll have saved a ton of money in air freight by
not having to schlep around a twelve channel mixer and a rack of
processors, the sum total of which would doubtless cost more than the
PowerBook set up, but will hold their resale value better for the
seemingly inevitable updates--new reverbs, better mixer, etc, and he
can probably write the whole thing off as a business expense.

On the other hand, for the serious, yet non-professional musician,
air-freight savings probably don't factor in too much.  It's
interesting to compare how much a non-computer-based setup costs
versus the alternative, for a real-world setup.  Let's say I tried to
switch over.  Currently my signal path is:

Guitar
A/B box ($200)
Tuner ($100)
Yamaha acoustic guitar preamp (includes EQ, feedback control, reverb,
compression, etc) ($300)
Rane SM26 mixer/splitter ($125)
2 Echoplexes ($1600)
Echoplex foot controller ($125)
A/B box for sharing controller between EDP's ($50)
Volume Pedal ($50)
DI boxes ($125)

Which totals about $2700, assuming new prices.  That's leaving out
cable and rack costs, and amplification, since that'll be roughly the
same in the new setup.  If I use a PowerBook ($3K with max ram, etc),
Logic ($500), some two channel audio interface ($200), SooperLooper
(doesn't do everything, but reasonably close for now--plus it's
free!), a Behringer FCB ($150) then I'm looking about another grand
over the old setup.  The old one is heavy, but retains much more
resale value.  Maybe I can get by with a cheaper laptop and VST host,
but I'd imagine it's difficult to shave off much more than a grand
while staying in the Mac platform (and maybe not even with an
audio-appropriate Windows solution).  Plus, in my case I paid less
than the prices quoted above for many of those bits since I've had
them for years now, but for someone starting from scratch, I think
those figures are accurate for both approaches.

The laptop solution of course has the advantage of being able to do a
bunch of other things, even related to music, but I'm not the sort of
person who says "Great--now my lifetime dream of twelve channels of
diatonic pitch-shifting with MIDI-synced panning and modulation is
finally within my reach!"  I use two reverb patches over the course of
an evening with my current setup, even though I could do much more
without a lot of effort.  It's an aesthetic choice.  I could ditch one
of the EDP's without too much hassle, in which case the cost drops
another $850, and now the laptop setup is looking even more expensive.

But what works for me may not work for everyone.  However, I think
it's illuminating to consider how much our perception of what tools we
need are determined by what tools are available.  How much loop time
does one need and how much just sounds like a good idea?

TravisH