Re: CD SALES DECLINING?

It seems that consumers vote for "convenience" over "fidelity" in most
cases.  Cassettes could be played in the car, didn't need to be
flipped over every 20 minutes, and offered the option of getting a new
album taped from a friend for the cost of a blank tape and an hour's
time.  Improved fidelity over vinyl didn't enter into the equation,
although I suppose they did sound better than 8-track, but they were
smaller and didn't have that track switch every twenty minutes.

CD's offered higher fidelity, but were more robust than vinyl (in
terms of cleaning and proper storage), and again could be moved to the
car, and walkman as well as the home system.  Plus, the ability to
instantly skip over a duff track was appealing, particularly as the
number of duff tracks seemed to be increasing...

MP3's offered much of the convenience of CD's with the added bonus of
decreased cost: i.e. nothing with illegal downloads.  The average
listener doesn't really care about the difference between 128kps and
192, but they do appreciate $0 vs. $15 (or anything).  Plus, they take
up less space.

Some people have suggested that switching to DVD audio would offer an
added functionality (5.1 sound possibility, higher sampling rates,
etc.) while making it difficult for the average listener to make
digital copies (at least for the next year or so), but most car
stereos won't play DVD audio, and if people just want to listen on
their portable system (iPod or whathave you), then it's not much
incentive.

TravisH