WAYS TO SELL OUR SELVES: ONLINE

SERVICES THAT CAN SELL YOUR CD: AMAZON ADVANTAGE

Website: http://www.amazon.com/advantage

FAQ: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/partners/direct/advantage/faq-members.html/103-5591612-5201424

Description (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/partners/direct/advantage-for-music.html/103-5591612-5201424):

Join Amazon.com Advantage for Music and make it easy for millions of fans worldwide to discover and buy your music.

Amazon.com Advantage is a complete promotion and distribution system for independent musicians. When you join Amazon.com Advantage, you're putting your CD in the Internet's busiest music store, right next to CDs from major label bands. There are no exclusive contracts, so you're not limited in how you promote and sell your music.

What do members get?

  • An Amazon.com page with track listings, space for customer reviews, bios, cover art, and liner notes.
  • MP3 downloads to help fans discover your music--and buy your CDs.
  • Free stocking, shipping, and cover scanning.
  • Full access to your sales, inventory, and payment reports.
  • Quick payment terms and automatic reordering.
Read more about the full benefits of Advantage for Music.
Have a question or need to send us e-mail? Check out the Advantage Music FAQ
Fees/Cost: Annual fee of $29.95

Percentage of CD Sales: 55%

Digital Distribution to other services? No.

MP3 downloads on site? Yes. You can choose to have some of your MP3 put on their Music Downloads pages, where you can get on their charts: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/535878/ref=br_lr__2/103-5591612-5201424

Example download page for artists: http://artist.amazon.com/krispenhartung
How to Sign Up:

First, familiarize yourself with our complete membership agreement and instructions & rules. Then apply to the Advantage Program using our simple online application form. After receiving your application, we will send you e-mail (typically within one to two weeks) indicating whether your titles have been accepted into the program.
(See these rules and form at
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/partners/direct/advantage/home.html/ref=adv_ld_advl/103-5591612-5201424)

Pros: You're on Amazon! (along with all the professional artists in the industry);  they will make samples of your soundclips for your main page; people can write reviews of your CD and post; half-way decent reports to track sales

Cons: Annual fee (not good of your sales don't exceed it); have to have a UPC code to submit you work; high percentage of sales taken (55%) relative to other services; it is not easy to upate your artwork, artist description, etc...must fill out form, and it is not immediate; do not allow you to sell your MP3s, only offer for free download;