Re: question for KIM

At 05:21 PM 1/9/2006, loop.pool wrote:
>Hey Kim,
>
>Is there any possibility that the Digest could be converted to one
>DAILY Digest?

well, only 2 people have asked for that in the last 9 years, so I would
really need to see more interest before making fundamental changes to how
the digest operates. If I change it just for those 2 then I'll probably
get
a whole bunch of other people complaining that they want it back the other
way. So, if digest users think this is important, please email me off list
so I can gauge interest.

honestly, I never understand problems like this, since any mail program
created in the last 10 years has easy to use mail filtering options. So
you
just set up a separate directory and filter LD mail into it so it doesn't
get in your way. pretty easy.

>Lately there have been so many messages to the list that we are recieving
>several
>Digests a day.  I've talked to several people who are considering
>unsubscribing because of the volume of email and I thought if this could
>be accomplished it would reduce everyone's email load on a daily basis.

I think it would be more useful if you guys addressed the real problem
here. A lot of extra digests go out because people waste a huge amount of
space in their posts. This fills the space in the digest with junk, and
then you get a lot of extra digests. Making the digest come out once a day
doesn't fix this.

People do this to you in two ways:

- being lazy and not editing out the unnecessary previous comments when
replying to a post. Everybody saw the previous post, you don't need to
repeat the whole thing! Just leave in stuff related to your reply. Some
posts are huge because people just add a short comment on top and leave
miles of text underneath. That is a style of email common to corporate
environments but inappropriate for mailing lists.

- posting in HTML. Nothing is gained by posting in HTML, and it screws up
the digest. The HTML makes a mail a least 3 times larger, and sometimes as
much as 10 times larger. Please post in plain text.

Both of these habits are really disrespectful to the digest users. Please
stop. Digest users, feel free to fuss at people who do this to you.

kim