Re: where's the money?

I recall reading a related interview with Pete Seeger many years ago (back
in
the age of records) Back then he used to encourage people to make as many
tape
copies as they could and pass the music on to their friends. He figured
that in
the long run it was better for him as more people would know who he was and
would be more likely to come and hear him perform and also more likely
to buy a
new recording if they knew what he sounded like. I think this theory
has worked
for some more modern performers as well... Phish comes to mind.... they
used to
record their live shows and flood the p2p services with their mp3s.
Last summer
I was playing a gig where a German tourist became quite excited to see me
because he had some of music that he had downloaded from the web or
somebody
had given him a copy of a copy... anyway, he bought copies of everything I
had
and I have since gotten a few orders from Germany due to his enthusiasm.

Paul Haslem

Ontario, Canada