latency questions

can you give me an idea of what software and hardware interface you are using on a laptop that is that quick? you must have the buffer set really low, and if so, how many complicated plug ins can you run? and (forgive the multitude of questions) are you using the software in a mixer as an AUX or is your sound going thru the computer (more like an insert...)

i recently tried ableton live 5.01 on a friends G4 laptop (1GH, i think) with an m-audio firewire interface and the latency was in the 15-35 range, i'd guess. it was not in the acceptable for me range.

thanks