Re: Looperlative - Max Time?

>From: Kim Flint <kflint@loopers-delight.com>
>
>At 01:28 PM 1/29/2006, Kevin wrote:
>>WRT Max time, two words:  "Undo",  "Redo".  The docs on the EDP
>>make very plain what the memory costs are for undos.
>
>I thought this thread was about the Looperlative? It's not clear to
>me what this has to do with the Echoplex. From what I understand,
>Looperlative doesn't have an explicit Undo function now like the
>Echoplex...

Well if the Looperlative doesn't have an Undo then I guess I don't
want it, so the point's moot.  But plowing on with the geek speak:

"Ben" <benoitruelle@yahoo.fr> wrote:
[Looperlative] is equipped with 128 Mbytes.
With a 24bit/48khz sampling, this gives
- about 932 seconds mono
- or 466 sec stereo
- or 58 sec per stereo track if you use all the 8.

466 seconds is less than 8 minutes, total.  So I guess I don't
understand where the  "10 minutes per track" came from.  Could
someone please clarify this for me?

Going back to Undos, per the "Undo" section in the EDP manual, each
time you do an overdub, the entire loop is copied to a new section of
memory, if one is available.   That's assuming that there's no memory
fragmentation which would mean you would have even less memory to work
with.

Looking at a standard 32-bar AABA song format with two beats to the
bar and each beat at 80 bpm, one track takes 64 beats/tune divided by
80 bpm equals 48 seconds.    Let's say "one minute" just to make the
calculations easier, especially since, as I've said, my loops on
their own tend to be about 100 seconds long.

It's typical in a live situation for my band to play a song for 10
minutes. Sometimes we go for 20 minutes.  What I'm using the EDP for
is to make a duo or a trio sound much bigger than it is.  I assume
that people like it because we get paid for it.

So if I lay down a riff over two bars, tweak it some and then
multiply it over the tune that's one minute plus the length of the
riff including overdubs.  A two-bar riff may be quite complex and
require 4 or 5 overdubs which takes the equivalent of memory of
easily half a minute, maybe as much as a minute  The second time
through I add some structure.  That's three minutes gone.  Now I
start adding some melodic fragments on the turnaround or chord stabs:
four minutes.  Now I do a LoopCopy to save this to another loop so I
can go back to it: five minutes. Now I do a solo overdub: six
minutes.  Now I double my solo and put down a harmony part: seven
minutes.  Now I LoopCopy to another loop to save it: eight
minutes.  If I want to do anything else, I screw up my undo and I
need the undo in case  the latest bit doesn't work.I still have three
to thirteen minutes left to go. But I do have two cool LoopCopies I
can go back to.

"Ah but you didn't use your LoopCopies", you say.  Well, not
yet.  But I might want to do a breakdown, I might be saving a loop or
two to guard against mistakes.  I'm a band member, not a soloist, I
don't have as much freedom to move as a lot of solo loopers.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my EDP.  But the EDP's Undo limitation
and the lack of Undo in Looperlative are a serious consideration for
me.  Storage is cheap, give me more storage.

Cheers,
Kevin
www.TheNettles.com