Patent law

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a patent a
protection of an idea's implementation and not an
idea?  Like for instance I couldn't patent "car break"
but I could patent a new technology I developed to
break a car... So if the Repeater (or any Looper)
implemented time stretching of audio USING someone
else's circuit design and code, they'd be in trouble.
However if they developed a new way of doing it,
they're in the clear.  I have to think it's got to be
like this or how could Microsoft make Windows... or
Apple make it's OS after looking at Zerox's computer
GUI?  You can't patent "clicking on an icon brings up
a graphical representation of a window" but you can
patent the code you use to implement it.  Am I totally
off here?

Mark

--- jeff larson <jeff.larson@sailpoint.com> wrote:

> From: Warren Sirota [mailto:wsirota@wsdesigns.com]
> > Interesting. Can you give me any hints as to where
> I might find the
> patent
> > info?
>
> Mr. Perille was kind enough to send me this URL:

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u

=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=per