Indian syllabic rhythms (was avant-garde thread)

> Awesome post, Rick. It's nice to have such a cogent summary of the Indian
> system - I'm moving this one into the "Keepers" folder.

I'll second that! Many of Rick's posts are in my notebooks. If I ever
publish any, he will get full props!
    BTW, anyone into Sheila Chandra? Her album "The Zen Kiss" has some
excellent solo compositions built upon rhythmic syllabifications. Also
Meredith Monk pops into my scrawny little brain at the moment. And on a
GREAT box set of dumming called "The Big Bang," there's a cut called "A
Quality of Seven" that has some excellent Indian drumming and occasional
syllabic counting. I'd LOVE-LOVE-LOVE to have more recordings of Indian
musicians doing syllabic counting; any recommendations?
dB, coyote