Re: Hardware Drum Looper Recommedations

I forgot to add that I would be using this device very modestly, most of times single 8-bar phrase/sequence containing at most four drum components (bass drum, snare, cymbal and/or hi-hat). In other words, I am not at all concerned with the number of patterns/sequences that this device would be able to memorize, as long as it can memorize one. It would not even have to have or allow for memorizing of a high number of drum samples. The only imperatives are velocity-sensitive pads, live looping capability (construction of sequence during performance, without interruption, where I could shift in and out of recording mode without interrupting playback).

I was hoping that there would be a sampler/sequencer suitable for this since
I already have nice brush kit samples, but if there is no such thing, I would be okay with a drum machine that already has good brush samples.

Rafko M <rafko_m@yahoo.com> wrote:
Mark: thanks for the recommendation. As you said, the only problem is that it Command Stations no longer in production and I would be reluctant to buy them used. Is Roland Handsonic that you mentioned capable of live looping, as I described it in my original posting. I did not find anything about this when I read info about the older model. The new one does not seem to have sequencer at all.

Rick: thanks a lot for suggesting this elaborate setup. Would you mind confirming for me whether Alesis SR-16 allows for “on the fly” sequencing, i.e. sequence recording and playback without performance flow being interrupted.

Paul: Thanks for the reply. It seems to me that SPD-S does not have the sequencing capabilities that I need (“on the fly” drum style looping).

I would be more inclined toward choosing a simpler setup, i.e. setup that reduces number of devices and cables, i.e. preferably a single unit, which is why something like E-MU Command Station would work. The idea of simplicity of setup is the reason why I am exploring hardware options as opposed to using a PC.

Any other standalone samplers/sequencers or drum machines that are currently in production and that would be suitable for live looping as I described it earlier?
Rale

Paul Richards <paulrichard_rocks@yahoo.com> wrote:
I know where one can get new XL-7's for $599. I think these were going for, what, $695, or so?

Paul

mark sottilaro <zerocrossing2001@yahoo.com> wrote:
You've got a really limited choice my friend... when I
asked the same question I found my only real choice
was an E-MU Commandstation. Here's the problem, while
it's an amazingly great Drum Machine/synth/sequencer,
it's out of production and only found used. I love
mine and packed it full of ROM cards (Beat
Garden/World/Protozoa)

You also might want to explore the Roland Handsonic
route. Not the same animal at all, but an equally
cool instrument. I hear they make a cheaper one now
too.

Good luck,

Mark