Re: Hardware Drum Looper Recommedations

On Feb 8, 2006, at 8:14 PM, Kelly Coyle wrote:

> Have you looked at MachineDrum? I think it has many of the
> qualities you are looking for, and is hella cool besides.

The MachineDrum is essentially the ultimate in retro drum machines
from the standpoint of being very grid oriented. You don't have any
choice but to be quantized. I'm not sure what it does with velocity
information from external sources.

I really like my MachineDrum but I might have been just as happy and
saved a chunk of money by going with an Electribe of some sort.

What none of the drum machines I've encountered do is let you set the
loop length on the fly. They are generally oriented toward specifying
a pattern length and a tempo.

The original Handsonic is a typical Roland product in that they've
got most of the pieces but they don't get it quite right. It's got
more or less the same effects as the SP-808 but you can't readily
hook the parameter knobs to the effects the way you can on the
SP-808. It's got a sequencer, but it isn't really useful for
improvising. Etc.

Mark