Re: The Dark Age

Kim had some free time to write at the end of the year, a quite
interesting post. Being of a different generation and space, I try to
complete, although a month later :-)

I left Europe in the mid 80ies because it was too dark for me and I
really was afraid of the atomic bomb. May believed in Orvells
prediction for '84...

But then I was cought by the new Age movement, so I was much less
pessimistic than in the 70ies, which were not so positive either.
Youth had lost two battles:
'68 distroyed the political perspectives for a just world
'80 distroyed the cultural perspectives for free pluralistic
expression and left the most creative people in prison and despair.
but '84 gave new hope that in 2000 there would be a spiritual
evolution - which really did happen to some extent.

Kraftwerk maybe was less known in US because of the lyrics but every
German of that time remembers them by "Farn farn farn auf der
Autobahn"
I remember they came important years later than Black Sabath and had
a completely different public (white socks instead of worn out
leather) and a very different kind of darkness, much more bored than
agressive.
I hated both :-)
For me the musical value of the 70ies was "Art Rock" (Genesis, Gentle
Giant, Yes...) and "Jazz Rock" (Mahavishnu and all its members
bands...) and the mix of both (Bruford, BrandX...)

So yes, I am one that missed the whole Rap, Techno and such development.
I saw it, but it went the wrong way for my perception.
I do not feel obliged to know all music, even though I work for the
music market - maybe a weakness of my products/marketing. but its
hard to create something you dont really believe in well... and all
business people and orakles told me that marketing was not my
task/talent...

in the 70ies the production of an LP was so expensive that it was
possible to own all LPs that were released of a certain style, or to
know most of the whole Rock movement, as I did.
In the 80ies production became cheap and it did not make sense any
more to go to record stores and listen to all they had.
In the 90ies it became easier again through internet, but the number
of styles and mixes has become so huge and undefined that I find it
impossible to even have an idea of all that happens.

plus, by living in Brasil, I participate in a completely different
movement which also offers a huge variety of interesting stuff!

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org