Re: Looper's Essential Listening revisited:

Take 2

Michael Brook Live at the Aquarium and the studio album Cobalt Blue was a
watershed moment for me. I was familiar with earlier works that Brook ( a
Toronto guitarist) had recorded in conjunction with Eno and Lanois, and
harold Budd, and while those are strong albums in their own right, it is
with Cobalt Blue and the live companion that I began being interested in
looping and textures. His rhythmic approach to sound was very new to me.
The
fact that he is credited woith the creation of the infinite sustian guitar
(as opposed to the single string ebow) adds to his cache as a significant
player and a true trail blazer. Brook's work is an interesting amalgam of
all the players that I really love- and yet there is something unique in
his
vision.
For me no one I had discovered had offered up such richly textured, and so
densely packed ideas in the realm of looped music. While both albums are
impressive- I have to admit the inferior live cd launched at the London
aquarium shows the true gifts that Brook possesses.

I had the opportunity to share drinks once with Irish Hot Press
reporter/U2
writer/Across the Line (BBC Eire)host Stuart Bailey at the Crown in
Belfast.
When asked what the best shows he had witnessed were I don't remember the
rest but the London gig for press for the launch of Cobalt Blue (that
became
the live album)

Brook's approach haunts me still. I am only saddened that his  producer
duties appear to have taken precedence over his solo work. highly
recommended!

Graham Stuart

also Recommended

Brook and NusratFateh Ali khan- Night Song
Brook with Divan Gasparyan -black rock
Albino Alligator soundtrack
Brook with Pieter Nooten-sleeps with fishes

visit
http://fringedigital.com/brook/
I'd love to see womeone write about Gerry Leonard here (Spooky ghost)!!!!