Re: Faux Stereo Looping

> At 2:46 AM -0500 2/20/06, Todd Pafford wrote:
>>
>> Could you break the mono track into seperate pieces using band-pass
>> filters, then slightly pan (& effect, etc) the bands differently?
>> (Probably want to mix back in a healthy dose of the original mono to
>> smooth out the rought spots.)  Not sure what tools/plugins could
>> accomplish this, but I'm sure it can be done.  May yeild interesting
>> results.

Another idea is to make your EDP mono looping stereo in real-time.
I'm fond of my AKAI MFC42 filter bank for this. Check it out at
http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html. The filter bank has one mono
channel and one stereo channel. I use to connect my instrument to the
mono channel and the EDP output to the stereo channel. Then I slap a
midi cable between the EDP and the Akai so the filter bank can sync
its LFO filters after the EDP tempo. You can filter both channels
independently but the stereo channel can also be set to stereo
movement in time with the music. When doing that you can keep the low
frequencies at the center and the high frequencies bouncing left-
right on any poly rhythmic related to the EDP tempo. There's a lot of
fun with the mfc42 and they are very cheap now - at least here in
Sweden. Seems like they flopped on the market because Akai thought
that all DJ's should buy one, which they did not. (one of my looping
students went and bought a "half price" mfc42 in a store right after
checking it out at my place. It's definitely an underestimated piece
of gear)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.looproom.com (international)