From: rune fagereng
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 4:24 AM
Subject: what to use for record rehearsals and gigs ?

Hi !

Does anyone have clues on what to buy for recording loop-gigs and
rehearsals
?

Have anyone used the
M-AUDIO MICRO TRACK 24 96 NEW --- FREE ?

Or IRiver IFP 799 ?

Tell me, are the dat-recorders outdated ?

Rune F, Norway

a k butler <akbutler@tiscali.co.uk> skrev:

>But here is the big advice from what I have learned: If one is
>trying to create the "sounds" of drums, be that of kick snare,
>hi-hat etc. , then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Hi Max,
While I agree wholeheartedly that your approach is a good way to go,
I have to disagree that it's all that hard to emulate sounds that are
close enough to a drum kit to function in the same way.

http://www.andybutler.com/mp3/static.mp3
represents what I found possible using a cheap multi-FX
(though like you, I mostly make percussive sounds just by playing
technique).

To emulate a kick drum, using technique (& maybe FX) is a lot of fun,
and also leads to the discovery of a whole range of sounds.
...not "disappointment" ;-) , well not for me anyway.

> The sounds coming off the gtr really do not sound like the real thing.

neither do a lot of popular drum sounds, that's a factor that makes
emulation easier

andy butler