Re: echoplex- inquiring minds want to know...

At 02:14 PM 2/27/2006, David Grego wrote:
>I have two Digital Echoplexes. I was wondering if anyone ever tried using
>chips having memory larger than the 4 meg that is recommended and what
>success they had?

It can't use anything bigger.

>  Would it work with the new Aurisis software? Though I am a little late
> in making upgrades, what is the difference with using parity and non
> parity chips?

nothing. It works either way. With parity you have an extra chip doing
nothing but using power, maybe that's a reason to get non-parity. It
doesn't matter for operation.

>  Is there any advantage to either? And lastly, what can I expect to get
> if I use a faster chip (60ns vs 100ns)?

no difference.

there is a faq:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/tools/echoplex/FAQ1.html#simms

Although any 4MB 30-pin simms should work, we did find there was some
batches of "8 chip" or "9 chip" simms out there recently that seemed to
cause occasional crashes. So that is something to beware of. The "3 chip"
or "2 chip" variety are no problem.

kim