RE: Project for Smart People (i.e Loopers)

 >> Project One:
Build an open and close (cymbal 1) and next loop momentary (cymbal 2) switch that would sit underneath a crash cymbal so a drummer could control a loop jam by naturally crashing on the one. <<

could you use kraftwerk-style metal drumsticks to effect a contact closure? you could have a metal tip on one end of each stick, & not the other, so you wouldn't always be operating the switch. a bit tricky on a real kit though, especially if the cymbals are on the rack with the toms.....

or.... a piezo trigger system attached to the underside of the bell, out of the way but close enough to be set off by a good hard ping or crash. the trigger could be armed & disarmed by a footswitch adjacent either to the drummer or to a nearby colleague, so as to not limit the use of the cymbal. similarly, it's purpose (i.e. what the trigger does) could be changed by the same arrangement.
this concept could be extended to work with multiple triggers around the kit using existing & proven trigger technology, adapted to be armed & disarmed by other switchgear as required.

slightly more 21st century- I bet this would be a good application for bluetooth..... the entire drumstick would be covered with level-sensitive trigger pickups..... depending what you hit, & with which end of which stick, & how hard, different midi commands would be generated.....

what I would do if it was my band that needed this: I have a roland spd-8 drumpads thing. the drummer would hit this &, aswell as triggering a nice loud sample of whatever noise he wants, it would also operate something else via midi. not as satisfying as whacking a cymbal, granted....

I toyed with the idea of mapping the pad's note numbers onto the tap-tempo commands in something (I think the repeater supports these coming in as notes...), but the thought of all the delays & sequencers lurching uncontrollably if something went awry.....  it would work well-enough for one-shot commands though.

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.If you have received this e-mail in error,
please e-mail the sender by replying to this message.

It is your responsibility to carry out appropriate virus and other
checks to ensure that this message and any attachments do not
affect your systems / data. Any views or opinions expressed in this
e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily
represent those of MTV Networks Europe unless specifically stated,
nor does this message form any part of any contract unless so stated.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe