echoplex differences and advice please!

hi I'm new here, and I have a couple of questions for the experienced loopers out there.

Im preparing for live realtime looping performances and I'm considering buying an echoplex. Is it still the most comprehensive realtime looper out there? there is no more modern equivalent? Or decent software? (latency makes me think software is a no go)  I tried the boss 20 thingo recently and found it a bit frustrating getting looptimes exact was not easy and the realtime functions seamed limited, undo also took a while to delete (which is not so good for live) is this quicker with the echoplex?

Also is there a difference between the older white echoplex oberheim and the black gibson version. Can both support the newest software version the loop IV ?

I noticed on the rear of one of the 2 units the footswitching jacks are different. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference there?

thanks heaps for your help.
gus