Re: what a loop has to say

On 17 mar 2006, at 06.28, Kris Hartung wrote:

> Speaking of which, does anyone find it easier to freely improvise
> when you aren't using layers and layers of effects, tone mangling
> devices, etc?  I've found this to be the case with me. I love all
> the cool effects at my disposal - the Boss VF-1, hundreds of VST
> effects, LXP5, etc - but they sometimes produce artificial
> restrictions or boundaries on my creativity. I tend to be more
> intentionally and genuinely creative, and less enamored and
> influenced by technology, when I just play with a clean guitar
> sound with just a touch of reverb and delay for ambiance.  You have
> nothing but the notes, basically, no window dressing to distract
> the creative process. I'm sure this is quite subjective and
> relative, but I'd be curious what others think of this.

Interesting topic, Kris! I think that in the best of wolds it
shouldn't matter how many effects you are using. What matters is that
you should not be aware of those effects when you play. You should
only be aware of the music that flows through you. The moment you
start thinking about effects as being "effects", then is the time for
either stripping down your rack or going back to rehears with those
effects according to the "300 percent over learning method", that
will let you forget about it all but still being able to
unconsciously draw on that knowledge in the heat of the performance.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)